.

#918:  Olinda

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Carbon Canyon Regional Park, 4442 Carbon Canyon Rd, Brea
The plaque is located inside the gate to the eastern entrance, which is no longer used as a park entrance. The oil well is located at the Olinda Museum at 4025 Santa Fe Road in Brea.

Plaque: 33.921185,-117.830218
Site: 33.926486,-117.837180

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

From 1897, when oil pioneer Edward L. Doheny brought in the first well, to the 1940s, the boom town of Olinda sprawled over the surrounding hills. To the north was the Chanslor-Candfield Midway Oil Lease and, to the south, the Olinda Crude Oil Lease. Walter Perry Johnson, of Baseball's Hall of Fame, spent his boyhood here.


From the plaque:

The course of oil production was changed in 1899 when the Olinda area became the first site in California to use the technique of drilling with the hole full of water. Having been developed as a source of fuel oil for for the Santa Fe Railroad, Olinda became a bustling boomtown at the turn of the century. Its demise came with construction of Carbon Canyon Dam in 1959.

Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Orange County Board of Supervisors, November 6, 1976.



©2009 David Schmitt