From the plaque:
This is one of California's
last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational
pavilions from the turn of the century. Built in 1905
by the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played a prominent
role in the development of Newport Beach as a seaside
recreation area. In 1906, it became the southern terminus
for the Pacific Electric Railway connecting the beach
with downtown Los Angeles. The railway's Red Cars connected
the beach with Los Angeles in only one hour.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Balboa Pavilion Company, Inc. June 1, 1984.