.

#402:  Town of Michigan Bluff

<< 1 >>

Location:

Intersection of Gorman Ranch and Michigan Bluff Rds, Michigan Bluff

Plaque: 39.041839,-120.736850

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Founded in 1850 and first known as Michigan City, the town was located on the slope one-half mile from here. Leland Stanford, who gained wealth and fame in California, operated a store in Michigan City from 1853 to 1855. In 1858 the town became undermined and unsafe so it was moved to this location and renamed Michigan Bluff.



David Schmitt