.

#463:  Ophir

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

SW corner of Lozanos and Bald Hill Rds, 3 mi W of Auburn

38.891289,-121.124593

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Founded in 1849 as 'The Spanish Corral,' Ophir received its Biblical name in 1850 because of its rich placers. The most populous town in Placer County in 1852, polling 500 votes, Ophir was almost totally destroyed by fire in July 1853 but later became the center of quartz mining in the county.



David Schmitt