From the Guidebook:
Nearby, two vats were built
in 1819 by the Luiseño Indians under the direction
of Leandro Serrano, first non-Indian settler in what is
now Riverside County. The vats were used in making leather
from cow hides. In 1981 the vats were restored and placed
here by the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks of Recreation in cooperation with Temescal Water Company, Hydro Conduit Corporation, Glen Ivy Hot Springs, Phil Porretta family, and Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, October 11, 1981.