#224:  Ruins of the Third Serrano Adobe

<< 1 2 >>


On Temescal Canyon Road, just E of the 15.





Private Plaque



From the Guidebook:

Don Leandro Serrano set out orchards and vineyards and cultivated some of the fertile lands of the Temescal Valley. In the 1840s he built his third adobe, which the Serrano family occupied until 1898, on the well-traveled road between San Diego and Los Angeles.

From the plaque:

Nearby, an adobe house was built about 1867. It was occupied until 1898 by Leandro Serrano's widow Josefa. Under Spanish law, she owned the surrounding 20,000-acre Rancho Temescal; but her ownership was denied by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Plaque placed by Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, Hydro Conduit Corporation and Phil Porretta family. October 11, 1981.

©2009 David Schmitt