.

#787:  De Anza Crossing of the Santa Ana River, 1775 and 1776

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Site is near Union Pacific Bridge, Jurupa Heights, plaque is located between clubhouse and No. 1 tee, Jurupa Hills Country Club Golf Course, 6161 Moraga Ave, Riverside

Plaque: 33.975857,-117.441269
Site: ~33.968470,-117.448068

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

Plaque is located on private golf course grounds. Access limited to operating hours.


From the plaque:

On January 1, 1776, the first party of colonists to come overland to the Pacific Coast crossed the Santa Ana River south of this marker and camped between here and the river. Recruited in the presidios of Sonora, Mexico and led by Lieutenant Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza, who had established the trail a year earlier, this humble and heroic band of 242 men, women, and children continued north to found San Francisco, thus setting a boundary to Russian expansion from the north. Three precarious missions were maintained by uncertain ocean voyages prior to the opening of de Anza's trail. Afterward, the flourishing missions and ranchos of Spanish California sprang from the droves of cattle, sheep, and horses brought over the trail.

This marker provided by Riverside Pioneer Historical Society, De Anza Caballeros, Native Daughters of the Golden West Jurupa Parlor No. 196. Native Sons of the Golden West Riverside Parlor No. 299, Rubidoux Chapter N.S.D.A.R. April 1964



©2009 David Schmitt