.

#985:  Desert Training Center, California-Arizona Maneuver Area - Camp Coxcomb

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

On 177, 17 miles N of the 10

33.908342,-115.248026

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Camp Coxcomb was established at this site in the Spring of 1942. It was one of fifteen such camps built in the southwestern desert to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. The Desert Training Center was a simulated theater of operations that included portions of California, Arizona and Nevada. The other camps were Young, Granite, Iron Mountain, Ibis, Clipper, Pilot Knob, Laguna, Horn, Hyder, Bouse and Rice. A total of thirteen infantry divisions and seven armored divisions plus numerous smaller units were trained in this harsh environment. The Training Center was in operation for almost 2 years and was closed early in 1944 when the last units were shipped overseas. During the brief period of operation over one million American soldiers were trained for combat. The sixth armored division was declared a liberating unit by the US Army's Center of Military History and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum for the liberation of Buchenwald concentration camp on April 11, 1945.

This monument is dedicated to all the soldiers that served here and especially for those who gave their lives in battle, ending the holocaust and defeating the armed forces of Nazi Germany, fascist Italy and imperial Japan. Plaque placed by the Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 of The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus and the Veterans of the 6th Armored Division and the 7th Armored Division Associations, in cooperation with the Bureaus of Land Management, Needles Resource Area. November 11, 1989. Re-dedicated March 14, 2014.



2009 David Schmitt