From the Plaque:
Tough Ombres 90th Infantry Division
Granite Divisional Camp, Camp Granite, Desert Training Center, California-Arizona Maneuver Center
Camp Granite was established
at this site in the Spring of 1942. It was one of twelve
such camps built in the southwestern desert to harden
and train United States troops for service on the battlefields
of World War II. The Desert Training Center was a simulated
theater of operations that included portions of California,
Arizona and Nevada. The other camps were Young, Granite,
Iron Mountain, Ibis, Clipper, Pilot Knob, Laguna, Horn,
Hyder, Bouse and Rice. A total of 13 infantry divisions
and 7 armored divisions plus numerous smaller units were
trained in this harsh environment. The Training Center
was in operation for almost 2 years and was closed early
in 1944 when the last units were shipped overseas. During
the brief period of operation over one million American
soldiers were trained for combat.
This monument is dedicated to all the soldiers that served here and especially those who gave their lives in battle, ending the holocaust and defeating the armed forces of nazi Germany, fascist Italy and imperial Japan.
Plaque placed by the Billy Holcomb chapter of the Ancient and Honorable order of E Clampus Vitus, and the Southern California chapter of the Military Vehicle Collectors Club, the Society of Vituscan Missionaries, in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management, Needles Resource Area.
March 19, 1989. Rededicated in 2014.