.

#464:  Prairie City

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

E side of Prairie City Rd, 500 ft N of State Hwy 50

38.644458,-121.157609

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Photo 4 is from the Mormon Island Cemetery (see #569) where the remains of Prairie City cemetery were moved


From the plaque:

Site of Prairie City, mining town and center of trade in California's gold rush days. In July 1853, at the height of its prosperity, Prairie City included 15 stores and 10 boarding houses and hotels, two stage lines operated daily. A quartz mill that cost $50,000 to build operated here in the 1850s.

Tablet placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by Ferm Parlor No. 123 Native Daughters of the Golden West and Granite Parlor No. 83, Native Sons of the Golden West. Dedicated November 5, 1950..



David Schmitt