.

#468:  Michigan Bar

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

On Michigan Bar Rd, just N of State Hwy 16

38.486197,-121.052951

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the plaque:

Gold was discovered on the Cosumnes River in 1849 by two men from Michigan in the vicinity of the historic Nisenan settlement of Palamul. In the 1850s the town of Michigan Bar was the largest in Cosumnes Township, with as many as 1500 people. By 1880 the town had declined by still retained its post office, Wells Fargo office, and important pottery works. Little remained by the 20th century and much of the town was destroyed by hydraulic mining and dredging. The Michigan Bar School was in use until the 1940s.

This plaque placed by the California Department of Transportation (August 2001)


From the guidebook:

Now practically obliterated by hydraulic and dredging operations, the booming town of Michigan Bar once contained 1,500 population. Gold was discovered here in 1849 by citizens of Michigan, after whom the settlement was named. Pottery works, once largest in the state, were located here, and town contained a post office and Wells Fargo agency.



David Schmitt