.

#604:  Site of Sam Brannan House

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

112 J St, Old Sacramento

38.583256,-121.504925

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

This building, erected by Henry E. Robinson in 1853 on land owned by Sam Brannan, was used as the first meeting place of the Pioneer Association and other organizations of early days.

From the Plaque:

Sacramento's first post office was located on this lot in 1849. In 1853, Henry E. Robinson bought the lot from Samuel Brannan and built this three story brick building, naming it the Jones Hotel. The Sacramento Pioneer Association first organized in this building in 1854. In 1855, it became a boarding house called the Vernon House, owned by Miss O.J. Clark. In 1865, Samuel Brannan bought the building, turned it back into a hotel, and renamed it Brannan House. This building was lifted approximately nine feet in 1865.

Memorial sponsored by the estate of Bobbie Jo Castleman, 1926 - 2013 in cooperation with California State Parks.



2009 David Schmitt