.

#633:  Old Folsom Powerhouse

<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>

Location:

Folsom Powerhouse State Historic Park, Greenback Lane, Folsom

38.680284,-121.176596

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

Site and plaque access limited to park operating hours.


From the guidebook:

In the 1850s, Horatio Gates Livermore and later his sons, Horatio P. and Charles E., pioneered the development of ditches and dams on the American River for industry and agriculture. One historic result was Folsom Powerhouse, which began operations in July 1895. Power was delivered to Sacramento at 11,000 volts, a new achievement in long-distance high-voltage transmission which the capital celebrated by a grand electric carnival September 9, 1895. The original generating plant, still in place, remained in continuous operation until 1952. The plant was donated by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. to the State of California to preserve its historical values.



David Schmitt