.

#698:  Fifteen Mile House - Overland Pony Express Route in California

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

White Rock & Gold Valley Rds, Rancho Cordova

38.589821,-121.261981

 

 

Plaque:

State Plaque

Notes:

None


From the guidebook:

Owned and operated from 1857 as a stage station by Henry F. W. Deterding, this was the site of the second remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express during March-July 1860. Here on April 4, 1860, Sam (Bill) Hamilton, with the first eastward mail of the Pony Express, changed ponies with Mormon Tavern as the next stop.

Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Sacramento County Historical Society, Fern Parlor No. 123, Native Daughters of the Golden West and the Central Overland Pony Express Trail Association, April 2, 1960.



David Schmitt