.

#44:  Site of Mormon Stockade

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

San Bernardino County Courthouse, Arrowhead Ave and Court St, San Bernardino

34.105501, -117.289195

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

On this site in 1839 was built the first house in San Bernardino, the home of José del Carmen Lugo, one of the grantees of the San Bernardino Rancho. In 1851 a stockade of logs was built here as a protection against the Indians, in it more than a hundred families lived for over a year.



©2009 David Schmitt