.

#573:  Sycamore Grove

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

Glen Helen Regional Park, 2555 Glen Helen Parkway, San Bernardino, plaque located at north entrance road

34.210447,-117.406206

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Sycamore Valley ranch, formerly called Sycamore Grove, was first camp of the Mormon pioneers. Captain Jefferson Hunt, Amasa Lyman, Charles C. Rich, David Seely, and Andrew Lytle stopped here in June 1851.


From the plaque:

This campsite on both the Mojave Trail over the mountains and the Cajon Pass route was probably first seen by Spanish and American travelers in the 1770's and was noted by them in 1806, 1849, and 1850. Michael White, grantee in 1843 of the Muscupiabe Rancho lived near by. The Mormon colony camped in 1851 on either side of this little pass for about four months while Amasa Lyman, Charles Rich, Jefferson Hunt, David Seely, and Andrew Lytle negotiated the purchase of the San Bernardino Rancho from the Lugo family.

Monument placed by San Bernardino Society of California Pioneers in 1927 at a site .08 mile south. Moved and rededicated here at Glen Helen Regional Park by the Society and Lugonia Parlor No. 241, N.D.G.W. July 15, 1972



©2009 David Schmitt