From the plaque:
Yucaipa Valley supported
a large population of Serrano Indians. The fertile valley
was watered by springs and creeks. The Indians called
this area 'Yucaipat' which meant 'wet lands.' These Native
Americans lived at this village site most of the year,
with occasional excursions to the mountains to gather
acorns and other food items during the harvesting season.
Originally registered September 11, 1957. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with San Bernardino County Museum, Yucaipa Lions Club, Yucaipa Valley Historical Society and Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, July 24, 1987.