.

#95:  Guachama Rancheria

<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Heritage Park, N side of Mission Rd at Van Leuven St, Loma Linda

34.056431,-117.237885

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Guachama Rancheria, renamed San Bernardino on May 20, 1810 by Francisco Dumetz, became the San Bernardino Rancho of the Mission San Gabriel in 1819. The adobe administration building stood 70 yards north of this spot, an enramada served as the chapel, and a zanja was constructed to bring water from the mountains for irrigation. Control by mission fathers ended in 1834.


From the plaque:

The original Guachama Rancheria plaque, placed in 1932, was stolen in 2008. The plaque was replaced in 2010. The monument was moved 460 feet east to place it in the new Loma Linda Heritage Park. The zanja, which ran under this spot, supplied the water from Mill Creek to the mission estancia. Later, it watered the citrus groves that fueled the local economy. The zanja supplied water here from 1819-1919, when it was replaced with piped water.

Placed by the Loma Linda Historical Commission and the Loma Linda Parks and Historical Society 2010



©2009 David Schmitt