.

#96:  Mormon Road

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

In turnout on State Hwy 18, 0.5 mi W of junction with the 138

34.233485,-117.293840

 

 

Plaque:

No Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

When the Mormons came to the San Bernardino valley in 1851 they needed suitable lumber to construct their homes and stockade. To bring in lumber from the mountains they built an 11-mile wagon road that required about a thousand days' labor to complete.


From the plaque:

In the spring of 1852, over one hundred Mormon men donated a full thousand man-days of arduous labor, to construct a road up Waterman Canyon, past this spot, and into the prime timber, where some of their enterprising brethren established six sawmills by 1854. The lumber hauled over this road, thereafter, was used, not only to build San Bernardino, but also throughout Southern California, where the boards were sometimes called, "Mormon Banknotes."

Glendora, California Chapter, Sons of Utah Pioneers, Dedicated: 1 June 1991



©2009 David Schmitt