From the plaque:
Camp Cady was located on
the Mojave Road which connected Los Angeles to Albuquerque.
Non-Indian travel on this and the nearby Salt Lake Road
was beset by Paiutes, Mohaves, and Chemehuevis defending
their homeland. To protect both roads, Camp Cady was established
by U.S. Dragoons in 1860. The main building was a stout
mud redoubt. Improved camp structures were built 1/2 mile
west in 1868. After peace was achieved, the military withdrew
in 1871. This protection provided by Camp Cady enabled
travelers, merchandise, and mail using both roads to boost
California's economy and growth.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus, State Department of Fish and Game, Mojave River Valley Museum, and Daggett Historical Society, Inc. May 1, 1994.