.

#977:  The Arrowhead

<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

Plaque near entrance to Wildwood Park, on Waterman Ave, .3 mi N of 40th St, San Bernardino Site can be seen from plaque location, but is located in the mountains and is not accessible.

Plaque: 34.168677,-117.278205
Site: 34.195370,-117.259242

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Located in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains directly above the City of San Bernardino, the arrowhead landmark can be seen for miles around. This important landmark has for centuries been a symbol of the San Bernardino Valley to the Native Indians and then to the pioneers and settlers that followed. It is believed to be a natural landmark. The face of the arrowhead consists of light quartz, supporting a growth of short white sage. This lighter vegetation shows in sharp contrast to the surrounding chaparral and greasewood. Indians who inhabited the San Bernardino Valley believed that the arrowhead pointed the way to the hot mineral springs below, with healing qualities, and thus considered it holy ground. Through the years, numerous forest fires have caused some erosion. But the arrowhead landmark continues to preserve its uniqueness and remains a symbol of the 'pioneer spirit' of the San Bernardino Valley.


From the Guidebook:

The Arrowhead measures 1375 feet long, 449 feet wide and is an area of 7.5 acres.

Located on the hills above San Bernardino, the arrowhead has been an important landmark for centuries. It is believed to be a natural feature but its true origin is unknown. The distinctive arrowhead shape is visible because the white sage, which grows inside the Arrowhead, contrasts sharply with the darker chaparral vegetation outside. Many fires have burned the landmark resulting in gully erosion. Check dams have been constructed in an effort to slow down the erosion process and help protect and preserve the Arrowhead outline. Bushes were planted on the outline for this same reason.

Friends of the Arrowhead, Inc.



©2009 David Schmitt