.

#985:  Desert Training Center, California-Arizona Maneuver Area - Camp Ibis

<< 1 2 >>

Location:

8 mi W of Needles on Hwy 40 go N on Hwy 95 8.4 mi

34.969517,-114.832916

 

 

Plaque:

Private Plaque

Notes:

None


From the Guidebook:

Camp Ibis was established at this site in the Spring of 1942-one of eleven such camps built in the California-Arizona Desert to harden and train United States Troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. The 440th AAA AW Battalion was activated per General Order No. 1 at Camp Haan, CA on July 1, 1942. It trained at Camp M.A.A.R. (Irwin), Camps Young, Iron Mountain, Ibis, and then Camps Pickett, VA and Steward, GA. The battalion shipped out to England in December 1943 and landed in Normandy on D-3. The unit earned 5 Battle Stars and 2 Foreign Awards while serving with the 1st, 3rd, 7th, and 9th U.S. Armies, the 1st French Army and the 2nd British Army, 7 different corps and 5 different divisions. The 440th AAA AW BN was deactivated in December 1945.

Plaque placed by the Billy Holcomb & John P. Squibob Chapters of E Clampus Vitus with the Veterans of the 440th AAA AW Battalion in Cooperation with Bureau of Land Management, Needles Resource Area. May 1, 1987



©2009 David Schmitt