From the plaque:
Albert K. Smiley, a leader
of the city's library movement, donated this building
and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through
his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's
few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he
also contributed a wing, built to blend with the original
design for this outstanding Mission Revival library.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Smiley Library Trustees, Friends of the Library, and the Redlands Area Historical Society, July 30, 1991.