Santa Margarita Ranch House
In July 1769, the Portola Expedition named this area
for St. Margaret of Antioch. The Mission San Luis Rey
1827 Inventories list a small building in the area. In
1841, Rancho San Onofre Y Santa Margarita was granted
to Andres and Pio Pico, the last governor of Alta California.
Land magnate Don Juan Forster owned the rancho from 1864-1882.
Richard O誰eill and James Flood purchased 205, 000 acres
in 1882. The ranch house stop served the 1882 transcontinental
California Southern Railroad. In 1942, President Franklin
D. Roosevelt dedicated Marine Corps Base Camp Joseph H.
Pendleton. The railroad line continued as a vital military
transportation link before devastation by the 1993 flood.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the United States Marine Corps and the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Squibob Chapter, April 25, 1998.