Star of India
The “Star of India,” a three-masted bark, is the oldest
iron-hulled merchant ship afloat. Built on the Isle of
Man, Great Britain, she was launched in 1863 and christened
"Euterpe". The Trans-Pacific trade from 1871-1898 resulted
in the Euterpe circumnavigating the earth twenty-one times,
stopping in San Francisco in 1873 and 1883. She was purchased
by the Alaska Packers Association to service the salmon
canneries in Alaska, leaving each season from Alameda
during 1902-1923, Euterpe was renamed Star of India. The
Star of India continues to sail the Pacific Ocean as an
active reminder of early California’s maritime commerce.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Maritime Museum of San Diego and the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Squibob Chapter, August 8, 1999.