The steam ferryboat Berkeley was the first successful
West Coast-built and operated ferry to be driven by a
screw propeller as opposed to side-wheels. Built by the
famous Union Iron Workers of San Francisco in 1898, the
ferry operated until 1958 as part of the San Francisco
Bay ferry system. The Berkeley is the oldest steel-hulled
ferry on the West Coast and the earliest double-ended
ferryboat to survive with her original historic fabric
intact. After the 1906 San Francisco earthquake the Berkeley
assisted in evacuating refugees to Oakland.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Maritime Museum Association of San Diego and the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Squibob Chapter, July 9, 2000.