Diego De Alcala
On Sunday, July 16, 1769, Fathers Junípero Serra, Juan
Vizcaino, and Fernando Parrón raised and blessed a cross
to establish Alta California's first mission. Relocated
from Presidio Hill to this site in August 1774, the mission
was the Mother of those founded in California by the Franciscan
Order. The present buildings, first completed in 1813,
were rebuilt in stages from 1915 to 1931 after many years
of deterioration. They have been in use as a parish church
since February 1941.
Originally registered June 10, 1936. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Diocese of San Diego and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, Sunday, July 16, 1989.