In 1844, Governor Manuel Micheltorena granted 44,322
acres to Juan José Warner, who built this house. General
Kearny passed here in 1846, and the Mormon Battalion in
1847. The first Butterfield Stage stopped at this ranch
on October 6, 1858, on its 2,600-mile, 24-day trip from
Tipton, Missouri to San Francisco, the southern overland
route into California.
Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. Erected 1964.