Ysabel Asistencia Site
The first mass at a site nearby was celebrated September
20, 1818 by Father Fernando Martin. By 1822, Santa Ysabel
was an asistencia, or mission outpost, that had a chapel,
a granary, several houses, a cemetery, and about 450 neophytes.
After secularization in the 1830s, priestly visits became
rare. When the roof caved in, after 1850, ramadas were
erected against one wall and services were held there.
Tradition asserts this site has been used for religious
services since 1818. The present chapel was constructed
Originally registered April 30, 1940. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego, Santa Ysabel Tribal Council, and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, September 26, 1987.