The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store
which was raided on December 4, 1875 by border bandits.
This fort-like replacement of summer 1855 was bought in
1896 by E. T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889,
and operated by Henry Marcus Johnson as the Mountain Commercial
Company until 1925. In disrepair, it was bought after
1938 by E. M. Statler, given to San Diego County, and
restored, 1943-48, as a museum.
Originally registered November 15, 1948. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego County Department of Parks and Recreation the and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, May 3, 1986.