Julian City March 1870
Following the discovery of gold nearby during the winter
of 1869-70, this valley became the commercial and social
center of a thriving mining district. Ex-Confederate soldier
Drury D. Batley laid out the town on his farmland and
named it for his cousin and fellow native of Georgia,
Michael S. Julian. By 1906 most mines were unprofitable.
Since then the area has become more famous for the variety
and quality of its apple crop.
Originally registered November 15, 1948. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Julian Chamber of Commerce and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus. September 27, 1986.