On December 7, 1846, the day following the Battle of
San Pasqual fought five miles east of here, General Stephen
Kearny's command, on its way to San Diego, was again attacked
by Californians. The Americans counterattacked and occupied
this hill until December 11. Short of food, they ate mule
meat and named the place 'Mule Hill.'
Marker placed by California Centennials Commission. Base furnished by San Diego County Historical Markers Committee. Dedicated September 3, 1950.