.

#482:  Camp Wright

49
<< 1 2 >>

Location:

State Hwy 79 (P.M. 49.3), Oak Grove

33.388862,-116.793739

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

Notes:

Nothing remains of this site


Plaque Text:

Camp Wright 1861-1866

First established October 18, 1861 on Warner's Ranch at "fork of the trail to San Diego", to guard the line of communication between California and Arizona. Moved to this site by Major Edwin A. Rigg, First California Volunteers, about November 23, 1861. Named for Brigadier General George Wright, United States Army, who commanded the Pacific Department and California District from 1861 to 1865. Abandoned December 1866.

Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. Erected 1953



©2009 David Schmitt