Whaling Station Site
Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin
Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities
for a station to 'try out' or extract whale oil. Their
operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government
acquired the property for Fort Rosecrans and in 1873 whaling
operations at Ballast Point ended.
Originally registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the U.S. Department of the Navy, Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation, and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus March 22, 1967.