.

#51:  Old Point Loma Lighthouse

49
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

Cabrillo National Monument, Point Loma, San Diego

32.672637,-117.240764

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

Info from the National Park Service
Info from LighthouseFriends

Notes:

Cabrillo National Monument has limited operating hours and a fee to enter.


From the Guidebook:

Old Point Loma Lighthouse

This lighthouse, built in 1854, was one of the first eight lighthouses on the Pacific Coast. It continued in use until 1891, when the new Pelican Point Lighthouse began operating. The Point Loma Lighthouse became the site of the Cabrillo National Monument in 1913. During World War II, the Navy used it as a signal tower. Today the lighthouse remains the central feature of the Point Loma Preserve.


From the plaque:

Old Point Loma Lighthouse

This lighthouse, built in 1854, was one of the first eight lighthouses on the Pacific coast. It continued in use until 1891, when the new Pelican Point lighthouse began operating. The Point Loma lighthouse became the site of the Cabrillo National Monument in 1913. During World War II the Navy used it as a signal tower. Restored by the National Park Service in 1984, it remains as a reminder of contribution of 19th century lighthouse keepers and their families to California's maritime past.

Originally registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the National Park Service and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus April 16, 1988



©2009 David Schmitt