.

#523:  San Diego Barracks

523
<< 1 2 >>

Location:

N side of Harbor Dr, between Kettner Blvd and Pacific Hwy, San Diego

32.711678,-117.169989

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

From the Journal of San Diego History

Notes:

None


Plaque Text:

San Diego Barracks

An Army supply depot for southern California was established on this site in 1850. Designated New San Diego Post, it was garrisoned by troops from December 2, 1850 to May, 1866. Reoccupied December, 1869. Name changed to San Diego Barracks April 5, 1879. Abandoned December 15, 1921. Acquired by city of San Diego July 13, 1938.

Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. Erected 1955


From the Guidebook:

New San Diego was established as a quartermaster depot by Captain Nathaniel Lyon, 2nd U.S. Infantry, in 1850-51 to supply military establishments in Southern California. The name of the post was changed from New San Diego to San Diego Barracks by General Orders No. 2, Military Division of the Pacific, San Francisco, April 5, 1879. San Diego Barracks continued to operate as a subpost of Fort Rosecrans until abandoned December 15, 1921.



©2009 David Schmitt