.

#538:  First Publicly Owned School Building

538
<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

3966 Mason St, Old Town, San Diego

32.753544,-117.197239

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

Info and pictures


Notes:

None


Plaque Text:

Mason Street School

First public schoolhouse in this county. Erected at this site in 1865 and known as "Mason Street School--District No. 1" when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. Restored by popular subscription in 1955.

Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. Erected 1955



©2009 David Schmitt