Fortified briefly by Carlos Carrillo in 1838, this site
became Fort Dupont (July – November 1846)) after American
forces took Old Town during the Mexican War, retaken and
held briefly by the Californios, if fell once more to
the Americans, who renamed it Fort Stockton and used it
as campaign headquarters for ending the Californio revolt
in early 1847. The Mormon battalion stayed here later
that year. The post was abandoned on September 25, 1848.
California registered historical landmark No. 54
First registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the
State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation
with the San Diego City Department of Parks and Recreation
and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, August 3, 1991.