.

#57:  La Punta de los Muertos

49
<< 1 2 3 >>

Location:

SE Corner of Harbor Dr and Pacific Hwy, San Diego

32.711082,-117.170859

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

Very brief info

Notes:

Photos 2 & 3 show the plaque before the corner was refurbished. The plaque is still there, just a few yards further south on Pacific Hwy.


Plaque Text:

La Punta de los Muertos (Dead Men's Point)

Burial site of sailors and marines in 1782 when San Diego Bay was surveyed & charted by Don Juan Pantoja Y Arriaga, pilot, and Don Jose Tovar, mate, of the royal frigates “La Princesa” and “La Favorita” under command of Don Augustin de Echeverria.

Marker placed by San Diego County Board of Supervisors and the Historical Markers Committee. Erected 1954



©2009 David Schmitt