.

#62:  Fort Rosecrans

62
<< 1 2 3 4 >>

Location:

End of Rosecrans St, Point Loma, San Diego

32.683615,-117.236763

Plaque:

State Plaque

Links:

Notes:

Only military personnel are allowed on base. Although there are certain events that allow limited civilian access.


Plaque Text:

Fort Rosecrans

President Millard Fillmore's executive order of 1852 created a U.S. Preserve on Point Loma. From 1870 to 1873 the coast artillery corpsmen evicted whalers from the site in order to begin the military installation. In 1899 it was named for William S. Rosecrans, Civil War general and California congressman. Major fortifications were constructed in 1891-1903 and 1941-1943. Transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1957, it became a submarine support facility.

First registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the U.S. Department of the Navy and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, March 21, 1993



©2009 David Schmitt