Juan Bautista de Anza's expedition marched through this
little pass December 19, 1775 on its way to strengthen
Spanish colonization in California. Many of the 240 members
of the party were recruited from Mexico to be the first
residents of San Francisco. They had camped the preceding
night somewhere in the wide flats just east of this monument.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with Cuyamaca Parlor No. 298, Native Sons of the Golden West, January 31, 1959.