Here was a palm-studded desert resting place, 1826-1866, for Mexican pioneers, mountain
men, the Army of the West, Mormon Battalion, boundary
commission, forty-niners, railway survey, the Butterfield
Overland Mail stages, and California Legion. It
was the site of the Butterfield stage station built in
1858 by Warren F. Hall.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Fremont-Kearny Historians of Old San Diego, October 6, 1958.