El Campo Santo
(The Holy Field)
El Campo Santo once included the adobe chapel on Conde
Street, in which were buried José Antonio Aguirre, María
Victoria Domínguez Estudillo and Cave Johnson Couts, distinguished
early San Diegans. Between 1849 and 1897, 477 persons
were buried in these grounds. Antonio Garra was the most
eminent of many Native Americans interred here. A number
of graves were relocated after 1874. A street railway
bisected the cemetery in 1894. The wall around this portion
was built in 1933. Restoration has continued to the present.
First registered December 6, 1932. Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego City Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, August 6, 1994.