Site of Fort
An outpost of Spain's far-flung empire at its greatest
extent, this fort was completed before 1800 from plans
drawn by Alberto de Córdoba in 1795. Its major action
came under Corporal José Velásquez on March 22, 1803,
in the 'Battle of San Diego Bay' with the American Brig
Lelia Byrd, which was smuggling sea otter pelts.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the U.S. Department of the Navy, Casa de Espana, San Diego Cannoneers, San Diego Archeological Society, and Squibob Chapter E Clampus Vitus, March 22, 1981.