This spring area was named by Captain Juan Bautista de Anza
when his overland exploration party camped here on March
14, 1774, during the opening Anza Trail from
Sonora into Alta California. Anza's colonizing expedition
of 1775, consisting of 240 persons and over 800 head of
livestock, camped here the night of December 23.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, April 20, 1963.