Here the southern trail of explorers, trappers, soldiers,
and emigrants crossed ancient trade routes of Kamia, Cahuilla,
Diegueno, and Luiseno Indians. On the flat southwest across
the creek, Warren F. Hall built and operated the San Felipe
home station of the Butterfield Mail, which operated from
1858 to 1861. Later the station was used by Banning Stages
and by the military during the Civil War.
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Squibob Chapter, No. 1853, E Clampus Vitus, April 19, 1964.