Site of First
Military Flying School (U.S. Naval Air Station, North Island)
The flat lands beyond have been a part of aviation history
since Glenn Curtiss founded the first military flying
school in America here on January 17, 1911. The Army operated
Rockwell Field until January 31, 1939, the Navy commissioned
the present air station on November 8, 1917.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the City of Coronado. November 8, 1967