Old Town State
Settled by pensioned soldiers from the presidio and their
families, Old Town grew into a cluster of adobe houses
and garden plots in the early 1800s. By 1835, 'it was
composed of about 40 dark brown looking huts.' The Stars
and Stripes was first raised over the plaza in 1846 by
Marines from the U.S.S. Cyane.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the local civic and historical organizations, August 20, 1969