Near this point, sea and land parties of the Portola-Serra
expedition met. Two ships, the San Antonio and
San Carlos, anchored on May 4-5, 1769. The scurvy-weakened
survivors of the voyage established a camp, where on May
14 and July 1 they greeted the overland parties
from Baja California. Together, they began the Spanish
occupation of Alta California.
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego Unified Port District and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, May 8, 1976.