Formerly attached to Mission San Luis Rey, the 2,219-acre
ranch passed through brief ownership by two mission Indians, then
Don Abel Stearns, and into possession of Ysidora Bandini
upon marriage to Col. Cave Johnson Couts.
The adobe ranch house, built in 1852-53, is one of the
finest extant examples of the traditional Spanish-Mexican
one-story hacienda with an inner-outer courtyard plan.
It was acquired by San Diego County in 1973 for the Guajome Regional
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the San Diego County Department of Parks and Recreation and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, April 26, 1981.